Competitors are to perform one Kyokushin Kata of their choice. (Weapon Katas will not be scored)
Competitors are required to:
- Bow in as they enter the ring
- Stand in the ready position
- Bow to the front on the referees command "shomen ni rei"
- The referee will raise then lower their hand. The participant will state their name and the kata they will be performing and then they will begin.
- The participant must stay in bounds while performing Kata
- Once the participant has completed their kata they will return to their starting position and face the referee in ready position, then wait for the Judges decisions.
- Once the officials scores have been tallied the Referee will once again say "shomen ni rei" the participant will bow to the front then step straight back and bow out as they leave the ring.
NON-CONTACT KUMITE DIVISIONS
Matches vary in length but are usually limited from one to one and a half minutes. Please note there are no draws in the continuous non-contact divisions.
Though no "points" are actually called during a match, the number of CLEAN DECISIVE TECHNIQUES scored during the match is usually the main determining factor in the decision of the continuous non-contact matches. To be a CLEAN DECISIVE TECHNIQUE the following conditions must apply:
- An accurate effective and powerful punch, strike or kick must be delivered to a recognized target area. The target areas simply are kicks above the belt level (excluding the back) and strikes with the hands to the body level (excluding the back)
- The attack must have good form, good attitude, strong vigor, proper timing and adequate distance (usually within 15-40cm)
- Both competitors must be in the ring
- The technique must occur during the duration of the match, no techniques will be recognized after yame is announced
Fouls will be given when any prohibited technique is performed. These techniques are:
- Any attacking technique that makes contact
- Any attacks to the head other than with leg techniques, thus no hand techniques to the head.
- Any attacks to the head with hiza geri
- All attacks below the belt level (i.e. groin and legs)
- All open hand techniques
- All elbow techniques
- Any uncontrolled techniques (spinning /360 degrees, forward roll kick)
- Throwing techniques, grabbing, clinching or body clashing
- Excessive movement out of the ring or wasting time
- Striking at a downed opponent
- Any un-sportsman like attitudes
- Any strikes to the back
- Any attacks with the head (i.e. head butts)
* Mouth guards and head gear are required for all non-contact
- Children's Divisions
- 1- 1.5 min
- Youth Divisions
- 1.5 - 2 min, 1 extension in the finals (1 min)
- Senior Divisions
- 2 min, 1 extension in finals (1 min)
- 2 min, 2 extensions allowed (2 min each); 3 min in Semi-final and Final rounds. If still no decision then decision goes to weight; the lighter participant is given the victory, (if closer than 3 kg) then greatest number of boards broken
- Excluding the techniques listed as fouls, a thrust, kick, or strike which downs the opponent for less than three seconds or results in the opponent's loss of his will to fight, after which time he/she stands up and resumes the match, scores one half-point
- Excluding the techniques listed as fouls, a thrust, kick, or strike which downs the opponent for three seconds or longer, or results in the opponent's loss of his will to fight scores one full-point
- Any legal technique that causes the opponent to loose balance enough that they must put both hands on the mat, followed by a reverse punch towards the downed opponent and an immediate proper Zanshin position may score one half-point
- In the Senior and Adult divisions:
- Any clean landing kick to the head followed by a reverse punch towards the opponent along with a proper Zanshin position may score one half-point.
- A clean sweep (opponent must land on back) followed by a reverse punch towards the downed opponent and an immediate proper Zanshin position may score one half-point
- A clean sweep (opponent must land on back) followed by a reverse punch that makes contact to the downed opponents body and an immediate proper Zanshin position may score one full-point
- *Clean landing kicks and sweeps are at the sole judgement of the officials
- Touching the opponent's neck and face even slightly with a hand or elbow. However, faking to the face is allowed.
- Groin kicks
- Head thrusts
- Dangerous techniques such as attacking the knee joint.
- Attacking an opponent who is already down.
- Attacking an opponent from behind.
- Grabbing or hooking the opponent's neck.
- Grabbing or holding the opponent's uniform (Do-gi), arms, legs or hair. (It must be noted that in the senior and adult divisions, specific hooking of the opponents legs or arms is allowed for sweeping techniques)
- Repeated intentional pushing of the opponent. (It must be noted that in the senior and adult divisions one push with one hand/elbow/forearm followed by an immediate legal attacking technique or sweep attempt is allowed)
- Such repeated actions as falling down excessively after throwing a technique or otherwise obvious no-contact techniques suggesting the fighter has lost the will or strength to participate.
- Frequently and intentionally going out of bounds.
- Being inactive and not throwing any techniques.
- Displaying manners that would be considered as having a poor attitude towards competition such as spitting, using foul language, and untying the belt or intentionally disrobing.
- Any other actions that the referees may regard as foul.
- Children's Divisions
- No kicks to the head or legs
- Youth Divisions
- No contact with kicks to the head
- No contact with any technique on or below the knee
- Senior Divisions
- No contact with any technique on or below the knee, light touch to the head scores a half point while excessive contact to the head may result in an immediate disqualification, no forward roll kick
- No forward roll kick
* Mouth guards and groin protection are mandatory for all knockdown divisions
* Headgear mandatory for all divisions except the Open.
* Chest, fist and shin protectors also mandatory for 12 & under division
* Fist and shin protectors mandatory for Youth & Senior divisions
* Taping of wrists, hands, knuckles or other body parts, without the express permission and okay of Tournament Supreme Judge and director is not permitted